Sunday, March 15, 2015

69 Chevy Chevelle Convertible--Body Work Part I

From last time, I am building a recently reissued 69 Chevelle Convertible in 1:25 scale.  Also from last time: the original tooling ain't much by today's standards, and at the very least, the body needs a lot of work.


Diving in! The first question: I bought 2 kits, which one should I use?  I chose the one with more flash because the hood fit better, and a whacked out hood looks bad no matter how good the rest of the build is!


The front flares look all wrong; on one side of the body they are too small; on the other non-existent.  I have never tried to add flares to a stock kit but I also know from other builds: just go for it.  I am using styrene glue (Testor's stinky-red) to glue some plastic stock to boldy go where no AMT has gone before.

I glue down a bit and let it dry, then I glue some more. The driver's side rear is cinched down but still needs quite a bit of shaping.  I plan to sand and file and maybe shape with some Eurosoft, but I don't want to remove too much. This will be tricky!


The side trim looks like a 68; AMT must have not "fixed" this in 69 to save money.  The area where the front of the body meets the front grille needs some reshaping as well. Generally in 69 the body lines became more "abrupt" so my focus is giving the body some of the sharp lines of the 1:1 69.



I shaved off some of the old mold lines with a Dremel tool and glued more styrene flat stock over.  It's going to take a lot of sanding to get this to look right.



Overall: as I thought this will be a whole lot of work and I was right! I am going to run along now and order some putty online; I am going to need it.  


No comments:

Blog Archive