Saturday, July 16, 2011

66 Nova Hiatus Continued--Now, a 68 GTO....

In my experimentation with two part polyurethane clear I shot a 68 GTO body I had lying around, so I figured why not finish the build....

Paint was Jacquard Acrylic, I mixed up a purple and kept throwing in red flake and red tint until it was a nice dark shade.

Overall, things were a bit rushed, although it seems it took a good 3 weeks to finish it, but just a bit of work here and there.....

There are lots of little sloppy things about this build--the Bare Metal Foil is a bit ratty in places (it usually seems to be)--next time I figure I will use some sort of guide to help this go on straighter.

I have always like GTO's--it was fun to build this but now it's back to the question--how much time am I really going to devote to this? To take this to "the next level" I'd need to spend more time....not sure I want to do that.

One thing about 2 part clear--it seems to amplify flaws in the color coat and makes careful sanding and finishing of the color coat critical. The danger though is burning through the color coat trying to flatten it all out. More time and effort are needed here.

The box stock stance was pretty bad--the tires for instance were way too big, giving the car a clownish look. I robbed some smaller tires from the parts box. I like the way the mag wheels came out.

I used more photo etch on this build, and it was a major breakthrough for me that photoetch looks good painted. However, after paint you have to apply it straight! Much harder!

No comments:

Blog Archive