Saturday, March 6, 2010

71 Roadrunner 1:25 scale--FINISHED



It's been a few weeks since the last post, and a big reason I've not been building is I've been hating--HATING--this stupid Roadrunner build. It's been a struggle start to finish, and really not been a lot of fun.



Some of it is my fault; poor planning, poor research, and rushing through the build for whatever reason. Part of it is the kit--even with a fair amount of work to correct some of the kit's obvious flaws, such as casting the front bumper (that was completely wrong and looked like who knows what), the finished build still doesn't capture the spirit of the 1:1 car. I can't put my finger on what is wrong here; obviously the problem goes all the way back to whatever promo MPC used way back when to master this kit. The body just doesn't look right--is it too narrow? Is the rake of the front end vs. the back not right? Does the way the rear valance sit not give the right "mean" look to the build? It's hard to say.




Maybe some of the experience I lack is to know when a project is just too big to take on. To make the body look right might have almost taken a entire scratch build of the body, and at the very least, scratch building the front grille, which has none of the subtle swoops and curves of the 1:1 car.




If I were to do that, I wouldn't do this in 1:25 scale, rather something bigger, so it would be easier to work with.



I don't know. I'm just not happy with this. Again I am faced with questioning how much time I really want to spend on these things. I can clearly see that to get to the next level I am going to have to spend a lot more time test fitting things and working on planning and prep. I have to decide if I really want to do that.



I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Blog Archive